In the Fall of 2012, the First Annual Laramie Singer-Songwriter Competition was held at the Buckhorn Bar in Laramie, Wyoming. Since that first night, we have had over 50 separate contestants across 18 nights of great music including 13 qualifying and 5 final rounds. The event has become an important cultural event for the Laramie community, bringing together musicians, poets, academics, lumberjacks, you name it -- a melting pot of great art.
Each year leading up to the Laramie Singer-Songwriter Competition, a couple Wyoming residents reach out and ask if they can compete, and every time the answer has been that this event is for Laramie residents only, but we hope to expand Statewide eventually. Now it's finally happening, so come join the excitement, be ready to make some new friends and meet some new heroes telling Wyoming stories through original poetry and music.
August 11, 2:00 PM - Centennial - The Beartree Tavern and Café
August 11, 7:30 PM - Lander - The Lander Bar
August 12, 2:00 PM - Teton Village - Mangy Moose Restaurant and Saloon
August 17, 7:00 PM - Sheridan - Luminous Brewhouse
August 18, 2:00 PM - Casper - Frontier Brewing Company and Taproom
August 18, 5:00 PM - Casper - Frontier Brewing Company and Taproom
August 19, 6:00 PM - Centennial - The Beartree Tavern and Café
August 24, 7:00 PM - Cheyenne - The Midtown Tavern
September 15, 12:00 pm - Laramie - The Alibi
September 15, 3:00 pm - Laramie - The Alibi
September 15, 7:00 PM - Laramie - The Buckhorn Bar and Parlor
September 16, 2:00 PM - Laramie - The Cowboy Saloon
"No matter how you finish, everybody wins by sharing their art in a unique and supportive environment."
Kelli Trujillo | Board of Directors
Hidden throughout the small towns of Wyoming are many talented troubadours and song-smiths of all ages, styles, and experience levels. Some play for their chickens, some play at local open-mic nights, while some tour the country with a full ensemble. Each one has a story to tell, and each one contributes to the evolving culture of the great State of Wyoming. The purpose of creating a singer-songwriter competition in Wyoming is three fold:
1) To bring together talented artists spread far across the State
2) To give aspiring singer-songwriters a chance to perform their works in great venues with a listening audience.
3) To promote and recognize excellence in songwriting, an under-celebrated skill with the power to bring people and cultures together- ultimately creating a culture unique to Wyoming.
- Each contestant will perform 3 songs they have written for fellow contestants and audience members following along with printed lyrics sheets.
- During regional qualifying rounds, the judging will be done by fellow contestants who recognize both the top songs as well as the top singer-songwriters.
- In each qualifying round, up to 5 contestants can advance to the final competition held in Laramie on the weekend of Sept 15-16.
- A number of prizes will be awarded to the top finishers of the final round.
- For more information, see our list of Frequently Asked Questions